Why I deleted my Facebook. My struggle for attention.

Apr 18, 2013


My struggle with facebook...
I want to share with you a very real and destructive struggle I used to have. This struggle of mine lasted for many years and I was unaware of the toll it was taking on my heart. Thankfully God revealed to me what I was doing and why it was such a harmful trap. This was my struggle: I used to use Facebook to get attention, to find value, and to feel "liked". It all started by me posting self pics of myself. Whether they were mirror shots of my entire body or head shots of me where i was holding my phone up to take the picture. (Im sure you are aware of these types of photos on Facebook) As people began liking my pictures, i began craving more likes. Soon all i cared about was taking pictures of myself to post on Facebook and get more likes and comments from people telling me I looked pretty. I began craving the attention. I began wanting the attention of people on Facebook more than I wanted God's love. I started placing all of my value in what people thought of my photoshopped and "perfectly" posed for photos that I posted. When I would post photos in more immodest outfits I would get more likes and that started to become a struggle within the struggle. I slowly began losing my self value and confidence because all of my value was placed in getting likes and none of it was placed in Christ. I was also disrespecting my husband by seeking the attention of other men on Facebook.

By Gods grace, He allowed me to see what kind of destruction had been taking place in my heart. He showed me that I would never be truly happy or confident if I was placing my value in these worldly things. He showed me that if I wanted to grow more in Him I needed to remove the thing in my life that I was making an idol.
My Facebook. So I deleted my Facebook. I needed to cut the thing out of my life that was taking my attention away from Christ. The thing that was a temptation to me. Once I deleted my Facebook and deleted that idol I drew closer to God. I became more secure. I stopped comparing myself so much to others. There was no longer a temptation to get attention by posting pictures of myself and God continued to work on my heart. I still don't have a Facebook to this day and I am so much more secure not having one. The idol had become so big in my life it was causing me to not see Christ and it needed to be removed from my life so that I could grow in Christ. I believe it all came down to a heart issue.

Romans 8:5-8
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.


Is your mind and heart looking to please the people of the world or your savior in heaven?

What are some of the struggles you have had with social media?

**** UPDATE **** After over five years without a facebook I ended up getting one again... I am finally in a place where I am not using it for negative reasons and can safely have one :)

No comments :

Links

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs